The EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission)

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) is an agency that enforces the laws against workplace discrimination, including laws against Sexual Harassment and Retaliation in Florida. The EEOC investigates claims of discrimination, Sexual Harassment and Retaliation in Florida.  Before The Fraley Law Firm, P.A. can file a claim, you must first file a Charge of Discrimination with the EEOC. After a certain period of time, the EEOC will issue a Right to Sue letter that will allow The Fraley Law Firm, P.A. to file your claim in court.

You must file with the EEOC within 180 days of the discriminatory act.   For example, if you suffered Sexual Harassment or Retaliation in Florida, you should contact The Fraley Law Firm, P.A. immediately, but no later than 180 days after the Sexual Harassment or Retaliation has occurred.  If you hire The Fraley Law Firm, P.A. to represent you in a discrimination, Sexual Harassment or Retaliation claim in Florida, we will handle the EEOC filing for you.

Online Assessment Tool-

The EEOC does not accept charges online. However, the EEOC does have an online assessment tool that can help you decide if EEOC is the correct agency to assist you. You can then complete an Intake Questionnaire that you may print and either deliver or mail to the appropriate EEOC field office.

Filing in Person With The EEOC

If you decide to go to the EEOC, it is helpful if you bring any information that will help the EEOC understand your case. For example, if the company claims you were fired for performance, you should bring the letter of termination and any performance evaluations.

Contacting the EEOC By Telephone

Although the EEOC does not take charges over the phone, you can get the process started over the phone. You can call 1-800-669-4000 to submit basic information about a charge, and the information will be sent to the local EEOC field office. Once the field office receives your information, they will contact you to talk to you about your situation.

Contacting the EEOC By Mail

You can file a charge by sending the EEOC a letter that includes the following information:

Don’t forget to sign your letter. If you don’t sign it, the EEOC cannot investigate it.

If more information is needed, the EEOC will contact you to gather that information or may send you a follow up questionnaire.  Later, the EEOC will contact you and may put all of the information you sent in an official EEOC charge form and ask you to sign it.  If you have any questions about this information, please call The Fraley Law Firm, P.A.